Saturday, September 21, 2013

Dinner with a friend

Yesterday I spent the majority of the day with my dear friend Nicole.  We cooked a meal together, shared our hearts and doted on another's children. 


Just look at those blue peepers!


 
We gathered the vegetables we needed from their extensive garden, (beets, potatoes, garlic, parsnips, and carrots)  while our children frolicked on the grass on played on the tree swing. 

 


We had a good howl over these "fairy" potatoes. I have never seen smaller potatoes in my life.

 
Nicole used a delicious smelling rub to season the bird before tossing it, along with the scrubbed and quartered vegetables, into the oven.


I love seeing my children enjoy such simple delights.



Amelia was extremely enthusiastic about collecting eggs, despite the fact that they were covered in poop and the girls had to shoo away the hens a couple of times.
 



These green beans were so crunchy and sweet. We gobbled them up before they had a chance to make into our meal.


 
Dinner began with a salad composed of roasted almonds,  heirloom tomatoes, feta, greens from the garden and a homemade balsamic and honey dressing. Even the children asked for seconds.

 
I forgot to take a picture of the main course, because I was too busy inhaling it.

For dinner we enjoyed the MOST tender roast chicken and root vegetables. There is something so fulfilling and delightful about eating something that was picked and prepared only moments beforehand. So fresh and wholesome!

 


 After our incredible meal, we enjoyed the sour cream apple crumble pie that my girls and I made.
 
 

 What an incredible way to the end the day!

No comments: