Sunday, December 16, 2018

2018 Cristmas Letter



Dear Friends & Family,
I feel like this is a fairly accurate snapshot of our crazy family, mismatched socks and all. I don’t know about you, but it feels like each year gets busier that the last and I find myself trying to determine what I can cut out.   I wish that I had the time and energy to write each and everyone of you a personalized note. I appreciate each and every card and photograph that I have received.
It has been a year of unexpected surprises. In September, after much agonizing consideration, I decided to homeschool Claire.  I had been considering the possibility for some time, as grade 1 had been immensely challenging for her. I am so thankful that homeschooling is going better than I expected. Being responsible for her academic education feels like a BIG responsibility. 
Another surprise was purchasing a cabin on the gulf island of Saturna. Many of you are aware that we have been actively searching for acreage for the past two years but for one reason of another were not able to find what we wanted. A 650sqft fixer upper practically fell into our laps during a visit with my brother and sister in law, who happen to own a cabin on the land next to ours. We purchased the ½ acre after a week of considering the pros and cons. We invited my parents to purchase the property with us and got it for well under asking price. We were thrilled to discover that the appliances worked despite the fact that the cabin hadn’t been occupied in over 15 years. It has become such a source of joy for us. Not just because the scenery of Saturna island is breathtaking, but because it provides us with an excuse to have quality time together away from the hustle and bustle of our lives in the city. We have already spotted whales, numerous owls , deer and raccoons. We look forward to updating it and making many precious  memories there. 

Nathaniel took Amelia for a hunt earlier this fall and managed to shoot a four point buck with his bow. They were beyond thrilled. Amelia captured the whole experience on the go pro she found  snorkling in the river earlier this summer. Amelia continues to blow us away with her passion for writing and drawing. She has recently become very passionate about preserving the environment and recycling . She is playing soccer again this year and looks forward to raising a goat this year with 4H. I can’t believe she is already wearing a size nine and can almost steal my shoes!  Claire seems so much more confident, creative and talkative these days. She continues to be passionate about gymnastics and is enjoying learning all about bunnies in the hopes that she will get one in the new year. Levi has become incessantly  chatty although we don’t always understand what he is saying. He is obsessed with motor bikes and monster trucks and I know it is only  a matter of time before I am living at the BMX track. He still keeps me on my toes and get up to all sorts of trouble. 
I am continuing to work as a Victim Services case worker at the RCMP detachment two days a week. I find the work meaningful and it gives me the chance to actually sit down.  I am continuing to lead a mom’s group  and Nate and I are still leading a connect group one evening a week.   Sometimes I think we are crazy but doing so makes it possible to pour into the lives of others in a meaningful way. I hope this letter find you well. Merry Christmas! May you experience the love of Jesus in profound and life changing ways. 


Love the Lord Family!


No comments: