Monday, August 9, 2010

Humanism

Today I was scrolling through my face book home page, as I do most mornings, and was shocked when I came across this saying on some one's status: "there is probably no god. so stop worrying and enjoy your life". This person had posted pictures from the pride parade in Vancouver and many of the people in the photos were carrying signs that said similar sentiments. Some of the posters said Humanism. In case you are not familiar with this word it means:

humanism [ˈhjuːməˌnɪzəm]

1. (Philosophy) the denial of any power or moral value superior to that of humanity; the rejection of religion in favour of a belief in the advancement of humanity by its own efforts
2. (Philosophy) a philosophical position that stresses the autonomy of human reason in contradistinction to the authority of the Church

It breaks my heart that people want nothing to do with God and feel that his exsistance could/is a damper on their lives. When God lovingly created us he did give us choice - the choice to choose to live our lives for ourselves or for him. He didn't want robotic followers, he wanted us to choose him because we love him and recognize that our lives are better with him in it.

The ironic thing is that people think that choosing God is choosing bondage when in truth choosing to serve your self is ultimate bondage and generally results in self detruction. I am no proponet of self flageration or lifelessnness - Christ came to give us life and life abundatntly.

The life I live is a life of joy, peace, and hope. There are thigs I choose to not partake in, not because I can't but becasue I know that they would ultimatly destroy me.

No comments: