Friday, March 24, 2017

Big Island Bees


Today a girlfriend and I were talking about beekeeping and it reminded me of the beautiful apiary that Nathaniel and I visited when we were Hawaii.




 Everything about their facility was lovely; from the incredible bouquets of fresh flowers to the colors of their bee boxes.

They had a lovely viewing area where you could watch the bees hard at work.






I brought this lovely jar of Hawaiian honey home with me. The honey is as delicious as the label is beautiful! These pretty little jars got me excited about creating a label for my honey.



They had so many varieties of honey to try. I sampled Organic Ohia-Lehua Blossom; organic Wilelaiki Blossom; and Macadamia Nut Blossom. Yummy!



They had a lovely collection of vintage literature on bees.




Erin, I thought you would like this darling little whicker hive.  


I could have taken a bazillion photos of the flowers alone.
*Sigh*


Nathaniel spent the better part of an hour chatting with a beekeeper who worked at the facility.


The walls were adorned with vintage prints of flowers and  photographs of people keeping bees throughout history.


The artist who owned the facility created the most interesting pieces of art by placing sculptures in enclosures with bees and letting them cover the pieces with comb.





This little gecko was feasting on  flies in the window.




All in all it was a lovely place to visit on a date with my hubby. If you would like to know more about  Big Island Bees, click on the link.


No comments: