Friday, October 5, 2012

Preparing for thanksgiving.



I don't know about you, but I am getting mighty excited about brussel sprouts and candied yams. What are your favorite dishes at thanksgiving dinner?  Earlier today I picked up a decent sized turkey, a bone in ham and loads of vegetables. I feel as though it has been a few years since Nathaniel and I have hosted a big thanksgiving dinner and I am looking forward to it.

I often find the preparations almost as exciting as the event itself. The past couple of evenings I have been stringing up hand cut felt leaves, choosing recipes, making pie dough, name cards, sugar cookies, table centerpieces.... ect. I have not, however, prepared beds for my guests (all nine of them), cleaned the bathrooms, or planned out my meals. I am certain that I will need to make a dozen or more trips to our local grocery store over the next couple of days. I just remembered that I still need to buy cranberry sauce and marsh mellow cream for the filling in my pumpkin spice whoopie pies. Speaking of deserts, I finally broke down and bought a pumpkin pie last night and may or may not have eaten half of it. Oops.

So while, I am prepared in some ways, and most certainly not in others. I am learning that hosting a thanksgiving meal is not is not about having a spic and span house, an impressive menu or looking your best; rather, it is about tasty food,  making people feel welcome and being stikin thankful for ALL that I have been blessed with.



No comments: