Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Changes

I have probably mentioned this before, but I am continually amazed at how little I am able to accomplish a day. For someone who is slightly obsessed with productivity, it can be torture at times. On those brief occasions when Levi takes a solid two hour nap, I try and tackle things I can't do or prefer not to do with a baby strapped to me. Stuff like painting, hauling stuff to my car, eating, washing dishes, showering.... 



Levi is a lot more alert and aware of his surroundings these days. While  that is wonderful for many reasons, it makes doing some things more difficult. He used to enjoy sleeping in a sling, but these days he prefers his bed. A couple weeks ago I realized that he doesn't like to be held when he is tired,  he just wants me to lay him down someplace quiet and dark. Imagine that! Thankfully, he will fall asleep in his bucket seat when we are out for a walk. Nathaniel picked up a great lightweight jogging stroller at a yard sale a month ago and Levi's bucket seat fits into it perfectly! I had planned on purchasing an infant harness for my chariot, but this arrangement will work perfectly until he can sit in the chariot on his own. I ran twice last week and it felt SO good. One of these days I will let Jillian Michael's of Thirty Day Shred start kicking my butt into gear.  

At the moment I am at least twenty five pounds heavier than I normally am, but I am confident that I will get back  to my pre-pregnancy weight. My goal has always been to be fitter after having babies than I was before I had them, so I have my work cut out for me. I am planning on doing a lot of weight lifting and cardio at my gym in the months  and years to come. 

I have been finding that the older I get, the more accepting I am of who I am and the body I have been given (with exception to by breasts which I have always viewed as a hindrance). While by body far from what our culture deems as perfect, but it has been so good to me. It has allowed me to carry three babies to term and deliver them without any complications, to do a 113 km triathlon, and most recently a marathon. It has seen many changes over the years, but has always been strong and dependable. 


I feel as though I am in hibernation mode. Nathaniel has been so great about doing drop offs and pick up's that I haven't been required to leave the house. We take turns doing the grocery shopping and I have been to Homesense quite a few times, but other than that, I don't leave the house that much. I love it when my girlfriends drop by for a visit, as I have little desire to leave my cozy nest. While some might go loony at home, I LOVE it. I am such a homebody :0)

I feel like I have learned a lot about who I am and how I function this past year. Nathaniel and I were just laughing the other day about how different we are. He is outgoing, LOUD, thrives in large gatherings of people, and is funny. I am an introvert, someone who prefers listening to speaking, hates crowds and is generally quite serious. I panic at the thought of having people over for dinner, but look forward to a simple cup of tea  with a girlfriend. Nathaniel thoroughly enjoys cooking, and has no difficulty creating meals on the fly. I, on the other hand, dread cooking and always follow a recipe.   Since Nathaniel has been on paternity leave he has taken over meals that I traditionally make and taken them to the next level. Pink and blue jobs have definitely begun to blur in this household!

No comments: