Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Deeper Things


I just had a riveting conversation with two Mormon missionaries. This was the second time I have invited them into my home. As our discussion wove through and around various theological standpoints I found myself asking "why do I LOVE this so much". Bible study with other Christians bores me to tears, but throw some conflict into the equation and you have my attention. Is that weird? Something about our different standpoints, drives my need to know why I believe what I believe. Not only that, I  love having my faith challenged. It is not always comfortable, but so important. If I don't test what I believe then how do I know if it is true? Do I simply believe what I believe because it is what I have been taught since I was a child? Because some spiritual authority told me to? Or because I want it to be true? Digging deep and and not being afraid to be wrong or discover something new is truly thrilling.

I don't feel threatened when my beliefs differ from others. Truth is truth and it can stand on its own. I love hearing people experience of their faith, their "conversion stories", their passion for the things they believe in. I am often curious what their motivation is when they discuss their faith with me, how dedicated they are to their beliefs and  how knowledgeable they are about what you claim to believe. 
It is actually hard to find people willing to talk about such things, so when Mormon's or Jehovah's Witnesses  knock at my door, I jump at the opportunity to discuss religion with them. I LOVE being challenged. I love digging into scripture. I love learning new things. I don't mind being wrong, or questioning things I have long believed. I am comfortable with the fact that I will never figure everything out and that I will probably always be wrong about some things.

I know that I will never "figure" it all out, that my theology may always be a little off, but I also believe that the Lord knows my heart and my desire for truth.  And I do believe that there is truth. Absolute truth. I don't believe that many beliefs can exist simultaneously and all be correct. I believe that there are incredible things one can learn from different faiths, but I do believe that that there is one faith, one God. Sometimes when I get bogged down by disagreements within my own faith, I take comfort in the things I know for certain. 

I hope that when people look at me, my life, and how I live out my faith, they see authenticity.  I hope that they see someone who is compassionate, loving, and gracious. I hope they see Jesus. I hope that they experience His love through me.  I don't have it all together. Goodness, I am mess sometimes. I struggle, I fail, but I have a relationship with someone that rocks my world and his name is Jesus. I often ask myself "how do I convey my faith in such a way that people don't just write me off as "nice".  I want people to know that Jesus is is not  "a" way, I want them to know that he is THE way. He is EVERYTHING!


1 comment:

Daniel Duhart said...

I just love this post, especially the last part about how you view your faith. Beautiful. Authentically beautiful.